This week’s PGA Championship, to be performed at Harding Park in San Francisco, represents “Glory’s first shot.’’ It not solely would be the first main championship of 2020, however the first carried out for the reason that British Open was performed in July 2019 at Royal Portrush in Northern Eire.
With the COVID-19 pandemic having pushed the PGA from Might to August, canceled the British Open and postponed the U.S. Open and Masters to September and November, respectively, the PGA Championship is batting leadoff to the truncated main championship season.
It does so with the PGA Tour having carried out eight weeks of occasions in its restart. And it comes with an inventory of a season’s price of large storylines.
The place to start out?
- With Brooks Koepka is trying to perform one thing nobody has completed in 93 years: a threepeat? This regardless of Koepka having slumped for the higher a part of the previous yr with a knee damage and erratic play.
- With Jon Rahm and his newly minted No. 1 rating, achieved two weeks in the past along with his victory on the Memorial Match, making an attempt to win his first profession main championship after not having actually contended to win one in his first 13 tries as a professional?
- With Tiger Woods, who’s performed simply 4 match rounds since February and simply three tournaments in 2020, making an attempt to win his 16th main championship?
- With Rory McIlroy, the perceived high participant on the planet, making an attempt to regain the No. 1 rating Rahm wrested from him two weeks in the past?
- With Bryson DeChambeau and his 30-something kilos of added muscle and new-found size off the tee supposedly poised to vary the sport?
- With Dustin Johnson, who received the Vacationers Championship and adopted that with a pair of 80s en path to a missed lower on the Memorial then an opening-round 78 and a withdrawal from the 3M Championship every week in the past?
- How about with Jordan Spieth, who’s been slumping so badly the previous three years that nobody even remembers he’s a PGA Championship victory away from finishing the uncommon profession Grand Slam?
- Or the brand new fleet of 20-somethings quickly rising up the rankings — led by Colin Morikawa, Matthew Wolff and Viktor Hovland?
- Or Phil Mickelson, who nonetheless believes he has a serious championship victory or two in him at age 50 and flashes that very capacity to take action every now and then?
We are able to go on, as a result of there are extra storylines. However you get the image. This week in San Francisco has potential to be memorable.
“There are such a lot of nice storylines, one thing good’s going to occur … we simply don’t know which one it’s,’’ Seth Waugh, the CEO of the PGA of America, advised The Publish this previous week. “We’ve received 97 of the highest 100 in world rankings coming. We’re lucky to have the strongest discipline on paper in golf for the previous 10 or 15 years. Everybody needs to play, and we’re enthusiastic about that.
“We’re proud to be that first main. Now that we’re lastly again into the most important season, it’s going to be an ideal run of golf. We’ll have us after which [FedExCup] playoffs begin after which U.S. Open and the Masters. It’s going to be a dash, and an ideal one and we’re very proud to kick that off.’’
Waugh stated the week, which is able to embody no spectators on web site because the PGA Tour has been doing for the previous two months because it’s restart, “will really feel totally different than the final eight weeks, as a result of it’s a main and that stress is there.”
“I feel it’ll be totally different and higher than the final eight weeks, as a result of a serious all the time is,’’ he stated. “We’re thrilled to be the primary ones out, for positive. Hopefully, we’ll have an in depth match and loads of drama to the tip.’’